Christian Fiction Writer

Tuesday

Just Do It!

from the Inside...Out: discover, create and publish the novel in you!

I read somewhere that when you don't feel like writing, just sit down and write anyway. I don't know where I heard that first, but it can be so helpful.

Even if you start out literally writing "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this" as someone posted earlier, you are still writing. And pretty soon, something worthwhile comes out and you go with it. By sitting down and just writing--even if it's gibberish--you are PRODUCING! It's showing up to work. (I'm afraid I've fallen down on the job a few times in NaNoWri).

What is helping me right now? I've used a few resources in the past couple of weeks, but today I'm back to "From the Inside... Out" by Susan May Warren and Rachel Hauck. I don't want to sound like I'm a commercial or anything, but this really is helping me. I've got my characters fleshed out and their goals and motivations, a little backstory for understanding them, and now I'm ready to put them in scenes. There's a great section in "From the Inside...Out" on writing scenes. Basic step by step. It's just what I need. (Thank you Susie and Rachel!)

And even when my internal critic says "you can't do this, what do you think you're doing? Even if you do get down a few little character traits, that doesn't mean you can actually write a real SCENE!" My critic has a witch-like cackle for a laugh, too. Really a nasty person. Yuck! These basic steps from “From the Inside...Out” are really helping!

No comments: